A Visual Guide To
UNDERGROUND COMIX Reprints
(Classic 'head' Comix of the 60's & 70's)
Compiled by Zonker Harris
this keypad to navigate the Guide
photo by Zonker
This is a guide to underground comix
We list those "first-and-only" printings cus some folks assume that if it says 1st, that there must be more. Which in most cases, ain't so.
90% of titles are first-and-only printings.
(and NOT covered in this guide)
Only about 200 titles were reprinted.
If your book is not in our Guide, it's safe to assume there was only one printing.
is NOT A CATALOG or PRICE GUIDE.
USING THIS GUIDE
(1) Remember to click on the thumbnails for info.
Do not trust the text descriptions, we don't.
(2) Price stickers don't mean shit. Ignore them.
If they haven't fallen off by now, Do Not try to remove them - you might rip your book. Hold the cover up to a bright light - try to read through the sticker for the actual cover price.
(3) Prices listed are the cover price, as printed (no stickers). We are NOT a price guide.
(4) We have added © copyright notices and scanner credits (ex: ZH/RU) to our cover scans. Please do not report to us that they are missing from your book.
(5) If your book is not in our Guide, it's safe to assume there was only one printing.
(6) see also Notes on using this Guide.
concentrate on reprints?
(1) Because for some comix, the printing can be more important than condition.
Newsstand comics are a delivery system for ads, so have a one month shelf-life. (Most Comix were also printed only once.)
But Since ComiX were marketed as a novelty item for head shops, some were reprinted for as long as they would sell. Early issues of Zap and Freak Brothers stayed 'in print' over 30 years!
(can you trust a comic over 30?)
With cover prices from .25 to $3.25
Selling more copies than most newsstand comics.
(2) Because we can.
Text descriptions, of the differences between printings, Just Don't Cut It. It needs graphics,
like photos or scans. Which we can do better, online, than any paper guide.
just reprints? Why not a full Guide?
Please consider our Guide to be a graphical
supplement to those guides.
This project stalled around 2006,
No further updates are planned.
If this site is usefull to
Please contribute to our hosting bill:
|Reprint Guide launched 01/01/01
Moved to UGcomix.info 01/01/02
Stalled around 2006
As of 2007 no updates are planed
text Copyright © 2000-2006 Zonker Harris
Under Ground COMIX.INFO
courtesy of the Denis Kitchen Art Agency
Our Media Guides
|"A Visual Guide
to Underground Comix Reprints"
- A valuable tool for colectors of UG comix.
"Comix Cover Gallery" - over 1000 Underground covers.
"Epi-Log Guide" - A guide to guides of TV eposodes.
"Heavy Metal Guide" - The early years 1977-1982
"Starlog Guide" - 1977-1982 when it still ment something.
COMIC BOOK LEGAL DEFENSE FUND
Site Hosted by